N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Lost reverse.. gearbox probs

General chat related to anything N12.
SammyET

Lost reverse.. gearbox probs

Post by SammyET »

Hey everyone,

My cars lost reverse... It had a dodgy engine mount for a while and the engine had heaps of movement and then I fixed all that and still cant get reverse??? At first I could just get it in and reverse a bit and itd pop out, now it goes sorta halfway in and theres a grinding noise when I let the clutch out. Any ideas from you gearbox fanatics???

Sam
BennyET

Post by BennyET »

yeah i'd be interested in comparing my lever to others, it has a lot of movement when in gear. all the rubber bits are all worn and cracked, so just how worn do they have to be before gear selection becomes a prob?
another note, i lose a fair amount of gear oil through my reverse switch, have to check the level frequently.
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

my brothers exa had same problem. couldn't get reverse because of a damaged rear engine mount. when we inspected it, we found that the mount had damaged the studs on the gearbox and although we got in there and did hte nuts up, it wasn't tightening the mount properly. had to get another gearbox..
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Well, it underselecting.
I seem to recall an issue with the shifter rod, between the gearshift and the back of the box.
If this this is installed upside down, the reverse will be a bastard as you describe.
I believe 5th can be a little pedantic as well.
L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
SammyET

Post by SammyET »

So... it could be the shifter, I'll check that tomorrow. It could be the mounts, I'll check aswell but my old mechanic had a history of stripping threads and ruining my shit! What are the possibilities of it being something inside the box?? Would it be repairable?

Sam
n12_15eT

Post by n12_15eT »

Yes im 99% sure that its the shifter rod, the one that goes from your shifter to the gearbox selector. Had the same thing on my ET. All you need to do is remove this rod and get some new bushes for it as the nylon ones wear out creating all that freeplay your feeling....
Formally Known as: al_etya
SammyET

Post by SammyET »

Ok update....

I bought a spare second hand shifter, and spent the day rollin around in the dust pullin off the old one and puttin it back together.
I found that my old one was bent like so:

so I put the good one in and cleaned it all up.. and got very excited because once id bolted the frame back on I could get reverse!! so i tidied up and went in to have dinner, came back out to try it n go for a drive, and no reverse!!! Im about to go nuts was a long day for nothin... any ideas????

Sam
n12_15eT

Post by n12_15eT »

The orange nylon bushes on the linkage shaft from the shifter to the gearbox!!
Formally Known as: al_etya
SammyET

Post by SammyET »

OK, I figured it was the engine mounting as the gearstick dropped a fair bit towards the handbrake... and I couldnt be fuked gettin under it again without a hoist... so I took it to a mechanic - not the same one who fuked it up to start with mind you... And he fixed it, albeit temporarily. Although I explained the problem in detail, he got reverse just by bending something out of the way or something like that... So I can just drive till the engine drops and I gota fix it again I suppose!!

Sam