N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

PWR aluminium radiator

General chat related to anything N12.
BennyET

PWR aluminium radiator

Post by BennyET »

I'm getting a custom made radiator from PWR. inlet, outlet, drain and temp switch in stock position. filler cap will be slightly different. + rails to mount thermo's (instead of bolting through the core)
quoted $720

Just seeing if there is any interest in a group buy as its going to be a direct replacement and suitable for ET's and EXA's.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense.
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

I'm in.
If they drop the price by fuggin heaps.
I couldn't justify an Ally core over stock at double the price.
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
mr et

Post by mr et »

thats sounds like a rip off too me.....
ET in progress....
BennyET

Post by BennyET »

i was quoted 1100 by ARE. lol
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense.
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

Doesn't sound that harsh to me. I was quoted $580 for a recore and that was trade price through the company I was working for.
Last edited by Paul Smith on Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mods
T28 @ 18 PSI, Jap Inlet Manifold, VL TB, MSD Ignition, Supra Cooler, 3" Dump and 3" Exhaust, Coolingmist Water Injection, AMG Mags, Koni Adjustables, Whiteline Rear Swaybar, CMS Brake Rotors, Stage 2 Cam, 5th Injector
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Re-cores aren't cheap ... but I can get them done here for $470.
Which IMO is still daylight robbery ... but I couldn't justify the extra cost for the ally core.
Have you looked at other radiators?
I'm trying to figure what the one in my car is from - I'm leaning toward some kind of Honda radiator. Has plastic tanks and ally core. Much thinner than stock. Just has the stock mounts welded to it and it's all good. You could even weld some rails for your fans.
--------------------

The beast:
=====================
=====================
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Paul Smith wrote:Doesn't sound that harsh to me. I was qouted $580 for a recore and that was trade price through the company I was working for.
Thats quite normal for an ET recore as its a heavy duty triple core and that core is peculiar to Nissan ET's.

Remember ally radiators are approximately 30% LESS efficient than the same area and volume copper radiator.

They simply look nice and can be easily custom fabbed thats all.

L8trr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

im looking at getting a 1/2 sized ally radiator. should be about $350... So if anyone is interested in that i could try and get a few made up at the sametime... PM me with interest if anyone keen.

Im going 1/2 sized to be able to get some 3'' piping either side (just for wank factor :p)
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Hmmmmm, so going 1/2 size and then 30% less efficient again on top of that........I dunno M8.... A really hot day in standstill traffic.
The rest is easy! Pshhhhtt!
L8tr
E
digginganddirt

Post by digginganddirt »

alloy = BLING BLING DIM SIM! lol
NIXAMUS

Post by NIXAMUS »

The Renegade wrote:Re-cores aren't cheap ... but I can get them done here for $470.
Which IMO is still daylight robbery ... but I couldn't justify the extra cost for the ally core.
Have you looked at other radiators?
I'm trying to figure what the one in my car is from - I'm leaning toward some kind of Honda radiator. Has plastic tanks and ally core. Much thinner than stock. Just has the stock mounts welded to it and it's all good. You could even weld some rails for your fans.
i can get a recore for $100, $150 MAX.

Laterz

NIXAMUS
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

I dare you to M8, on a genuine ET core, NOT a GX core.

Post back here with your scanned quote and the radiator repairer and you will get at least a dozen radiators to be done in the first day.

L8tr
E
sht50

Post by sht50 »

yeah i want to see a quote as well. i put a hole through mine and it was gonna be a bullshit price. just cleaned the paint off fired up the soldering iron and bam no leaks.
just another boring post bought to you by me.
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

NIXAMUS wrote:i can get a recore for $100, $150 MAX.

Laterz

NIXAMUS
If you can get a radiator shop to provide a quote for a re-core of an ET radiator for $150 and post it up here, tell the bloke he is about to be flooded with radiators posted to him. Coz even if we all had to pay freight to and from him, and then pay for the re-core, it'd STILL work out way cheaper.
--------------------

The beast:
=====================
=====================
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

From the experiences I just had ut the ALuminium radiator into my Exa I'd offer a couple of bits of advice. First mine was no wide enough tto fit the entire hole left by the old radiator so that intercooler pipes could be run through the firewall without cutting it. The also shortens them. Both good things. But the gap wasn't quite enough so we needed to 'encourage' the firewall with a hammer to make more space.

To do this they put tanks top an bottom, not on the sides. This meant it didn't fit into the old radiator space vertically. Not to big an issue, but the extra thickness meant it the is VERY LITTLE room between radiator and turbo.

The top inlet prevents the use of a top mount. The bottom outlet is tricky to plumb back to the block without it touching the exhaust (3 inch dump). This is mainly because the inlet was fed straight out, whereas the ET ones have a right angle on them.

So to me it's a great idea to make a custom radiator the will allow the cooler pipes through. Make sure it still fits into the firewall and on "onto" the firewall to leave room for the turbo. This means it can be thicker.

Resolving this properly would make it a good improvement mod, otherwise its just a new replacment item. I'm interested in what you do, and also in seeing some of the other installs people have done...

C