N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Wolf ECU's

General chat related to anything N12.
TimmyET

Wolf ECU's

Post by TimmyET »

Just wondering if the Wolf 3D series ECU is easily adaptable to the ET. Who can share a bit of insight & experience as i know you can buy computer software for them and tune them yourselfs as I dont really have the money to be going to tuning companies etc. Is it worth getting a Wolf over a Microtech if you want to be able to tune your car at lower costs?
thepurplepulsar
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Wolf ECU's

Post by thepurplepulsar »

TimmyET wrote:Is it worth getting a Wolf over a Microtech if you want to be able to tune your car at lower costs?
The price to tune it won't be any cheaper, the price differance will be in the purchase and install price of the ecu.

You can tune any aftermarket ECU whether it be a Wolf, Microtech, EMS etc yourself providing you have a laptop or handcontroller, an accurate air/fuel sensor, someone to drive the car and the rest comes down to time and knowledge.

You could install the ECU yourself which would have a base tune. For the extra few hundred dollars it would cost to buy the o2 sensor you could pay a tuner to do the job properly.
Number 5 on the Top Ten List - 12.39 @ 110mph

My Car
TimmyET

Post by TimmyET »

Any idea what sensors are absolutely neccesary to run the Wolf 3D? I know i need the O2 sensors, but what else? Throttle position, crank angle, air temp etc
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

I would bet you don't need the 02 sensor unless you intend to get it EPA tested. You'll need a MAP, probably air temp and coolant temp and throttle position.

C
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

The wolf v400 is an excellent ecu! That's what i'm running.
I think you can still buy some v400's but the v500 is even better (just more $$). With the wire in kit all the sensors come with it except an o2 sensor and TPS sensor.

If you have a VL TB some of the TPS's on those are variable and you can use them. If you've never tuned a car before (sounds like you haven't) i would recommend at least getting someone to help you tune it or you may end up being very frustrated or blow your motor. I'd recommend running sequential injection. There's more fuel map resolution to play with and the car ends up being smoother and using less fuel. You will need to either modify your trigger disc or buy one from wolf. However the 'generic nissan' one didn't fit the ET without some modifying. So it would be easier to drill out a 'sync' hole in the stock trigger disc.

A good tuner should be able to tune a wolf in 2hours if there are no problems. Which would be cheaper than most wideband o2 units. However if you want to learn about tuning then go for it. Just research as much as you can and you should have it running pretty sweet. I recommend a book called "How to tune and modify engine management systems'.
ACL Pistons, 226/236 cam, T28 Turbo, FMIC, FJ20T Injectors, Wolf V4 ECU, NPC Clutch, VL TB, Custom High Mount Manifold, N13 Internals G/B, 3" SS Exhaust, Walbro 500hp Pump.
237hp@18psi
13.52@108.95mph (street trim, leaky hg)
TimmyET

Post by TimmyET »

Thanks raddavey, bit of a legend you are :)
I've got a friend watching a cheap 3D version 4 on ebay. Looks great.
Yeah I'm also thinking of taking it down to melbourne to get it tuned coz i know just about jack shit about tuning and cars.
SashET

Post by SashET »

TimmyET wrote:Thanks raddavey, bit of a legend you are :)
Yeah I'm also thinking of taking it down to melbourne to get it tuned coz i know just about jack shit about tuning and cars.
JPC in thomastown, EAS in Airport West or Maztech are the tuners of choice for me.

They have been in this game a looooooong time and know their shit.

Cheers
Sash
TimmyET

Post by TimmyET »

SashET wrote:
TimmyET wrote:Thanks raddavey, bit of a legend you are :)
JPC in thomastown, EAS in Airport West or Maztech are the tuners of choice for me.

They have been in this game a looooooong time and know their shit.

Cheers
Sash
Thanks Sash. I'll keep an eye out for them
TimmyET

Post by TimmyET »

Ok, so I've managed to get a hold of a Wolf 3D Version 4. I could be getting installed and tuned by a bloke from HSV engineering but its not finalised. I was told the Wolf loom could be sort of spliced into the original ET loom. But extra sensors will be required I'm sure. Where am I going to find a base map for my car for the Wolf?
1. Cut a hole in a box 2. Put your junk in that box 3. Make her open the box
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

have you tried the wolf website ?
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

I wouldn't splice into the original loom! Rewire he lot.
I can send you a wolf map. Are you running batch or sequential injection, what size injectors and what cam?
ACL Pistons, 226/236 cam, T28 Turbo, FMIC, FJ20T Injectors, Wolf V4 ECU, NPC Clutch, VL TB, Custom High Mount Manifold, N13 Internals G/B, 3" SS Exhaust, Walbro 500hp Pump.
237hp@18psi
13.52@108.95mph (street trim, leaky hg)
TimmyET

Post by TimmyET »

Yeah I cant find anything on the Wolfems website.
raddavey wrote:I wouldn't splice into the original loom! Rewire he lot.
I can send you a wolf map. Are you running batch or sequential injection, what size injectors and what cam?
I'm not sure, I dont know all that much about this stuff, whats the difference between batch n sequential?
Everythings stock except an exhaust system.
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

batch is where it fires injectors in batches of 2 or all four at once. sequential is where it fires the injector when it is its turn to add fuel. So you would look at batch as being a wasted fuel setup kinda like a wasted spark setup just with fuel if that breaks it down simple enough :) hope it does.

yes rewire for sure, but best to keep the CAS loom complete(4 wires wrapped in a grey cover with shielding underneath) and dont remove the shielding as its there for a reason :)

have a good one and good luck

Matt
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
xr6eta

Post by xr6eta »

PM sent to hotmail address. Good luck.
TimmyET

Post by TimmyET »

Thanks man, thats a top little article, helped alot :)