N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Wolf ECU's

General chat related to anything N12.
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

Hey Guys, i've been running a Wolf3D V500 in my EXA (formerly in my ET (zoom 109 - Wolfing Around) for a year or more now and love it to bits. It was shit easy to strip all the engine wiring out of the car and re-wire the whole thing again. W use a map hose, high speed air temp sensor, o2 sensor, 4 injectors, TPS and distributor setup for my 141kw's on standard injectors and pump. I've got to get it all tuned properly sometime as i'm only running on map and spark at the moment.
Uncie-G wrote: As for the drift steering wheel, if you use this combined with earthing kit at the same time the overall road feel and torque steer gets reduced.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Brinmg it down here Ben. Ill hook up my new techEdge wide band semsor and controller and do a road tune!!!!
better than any dyno sniffer!!
L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
SashET

Post by SashET »

tassuperkart wrote:Brinmg it down here Ben. Ill hook up my new techEdge wide band semsor and controller and do a road tune!!!!
better than any dyno sniffer!!
L8tr
E
You bought a wideband and controller E?

Those techEdge ones are supposed to be good.
The bloke I spoke to from Sydney was pretty helpful over the phone too.

You put it at the dump pipe or the ass end of the car (exhaust tip)?

Cheers
Sash
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Hi Sase
Yer I did.

Main reason I went with TechEdge was that their controller interfaces directly with the Adaptronic 420c ecu via a serial port that Im using on the VG30det.

I simply make the car at least run the "olde fashioned waye", (it only has to run) then enable full time adaptive mode and specify my target AFR's for the different load conditions into my ecu and then go drive around untill my AFR's arrive at the specified figures I want.

You can place the sensor anywhere AFTER at least 1 meter from the turbo in the dump or main pipe system or you you can poke it up the exhausts bum as a sniffer using a simple screw on sniffer pipe.
Makes no diff.

Very handy bit of kit. I cant wait to give it a whirl.

L8tr
E
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Sounds sweet.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Yer, a wideband ego AND controller is the only way to get meaningful and repeatable AFR readings.

KNOW THIS!
For those of you contemplating running out and buying a wide band ego sensor, they will NOT work on their own.
You *can* use the raw voltage output but it will be no more meaningful than a 2 bob narrow band ego and a bloody digital multimeter set to low volts!

The controller circuitry is very sophisticated and finely calibrated and if you want to invest in such clobber, then expect to unload around 500 big ones at least for an entry level controller and sensor.

L8tr
E
TimmyET

Post by TimmyET »

I just cant afford this right now. Rang up a few tuning companies, the cheapest i could find to get the whole thing up and running was $1500. Inlcudes sensors, loom, dyno and installation and that was from Racetec. Any cheaper solutions?
1. Cut a hole in a box 2. Put your junk in that box 3. Make her open the box
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

is the $1500 with ECU as well? if thats so to have it done for you I doubt you will get it cheaper ;)
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

that sounds like a pretty bloody decent price to me mate, considering i payed $1150 a few years ago for my Microtech LT-8 and laptop connection on its own.

I also purchased a wolf 3dv4 with purpose built loom and multicoils for my R31 for $1500, then i had to install it, then it was another $500 for the tune.
TimmyET

Post by TimmyET »

I've already got the wolf 3d v4 and the hand controller and they wanna charge the 1500 to install and tune it
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Baaaaaahahahahahahahaha!
They simply dont want the job M8. They are charging "idiot tax"!!
Take the hint and go elsewhere.
L8tr
E
TimmyET

Post by TimmyET »

I've tried. We rang nearly all the Victorian dealers and tuners in Victoria on the WOLF ems website.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

does this cost include a new harness? If so these can be $300 or more, then take out the tune and they are probably charging out one days labour to make up the difference.

C
TimmyET

Post by TimmyET »

Yeah includes, loom, sensors, installation and dyno they said. Its not an exact quote but a ballpark
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

So you have the ECU and hand controller, they will supply the loom and additional sensors as required and then install and tune. Frankly, I don't think that isn't such a bad price, and I don't think there is any idiot tax in it. Certainly to save money you should do it yourself, but if you can't that price seems reasonable in the market.

When I was pricing things for mine, I was told by several installers that second hand unit were really a false economy because the normally didn't come with the loom and additional (or different) sensors, for example a water temp sensor calibrated to the ecu is cheaper to buy (~$40) than to pay to tune the ecu to use the stock one. If your Wolf needs a MAP sensor there's another $120 and it goes on....The looms varied a little but were all over $200. Most new ECUs have a loom and some of these sensors.

So my tip is if buying an ECU make sure you get the loom and sensors required, OR factor it into the cost of the install. A loom from a different car is also likely to be useless to you.

C