N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

brakes, pads & calipers.

General chat related to anything N12.
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

I agree with Evan, my old Exa had the stock vented disks and never ever had any problem stopping .... and I occasionally did some dumb shit in it.

I think that if you feel you need to upgrade, then there is a problem with your braking system that needs attention.

I intend on doing many circuit track days in my Exa and I with have stock vented front disks and stock rear drums. And I'm confident it won't pose any problems.
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

It was a good rant eh??? LOL
L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Rohan 84ET

Post by Rohan 84ET »

well, fair enuf E, but i have noticed that when i drive me ET, i do like to go for the occasional boost, push it hard, and usually i find that alot of the corners my car just wont corner around unless i brake a fair bit before hand, i have a bloody hard suspension setup that i intent to change, but for now it means that too hard cornering results in mass understeer, there for i need to brake harder and then punch it as i hit the apex, fair n square.

at the moment, i find that after about 5 or 8 hard corners, the brakes just dont feel as solid as they did on start up, fading etc.

so with the CMS rotors i have already, i just want a good brake pad, such as the EBC green stuff, so that in the future, its not a problem that i will have to worry about.
ET coming back from the dead.

SAVE ME JEBAS!
gettu

Post by gettu »

Panda_ET wrote: i wouldnt call the prairie setup an upgrade more of a sidestep, the rotors are actually smaller

IMSMR the friction area of the brake pad is larger,the cylinder is bigger.

and you get vented disc.
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

tassuperkart wrote:EBC greens would be totally adequate and possibly a slight bias adjustment to move braking to the rear a little more to suite my particular braking style.
Is that because of "trail braking"?
Mods
T28 @ 18 PSI, Jap Inlet Manifold, VL TB, MSD Ignition, Supra Cooler, 3" Dump and 3" Exhaust, Coolingmist Water Injection, AMG Mags, Koni Adjustables, Whiteline Rear Swaybar, CMS Brake Rotors, Stage 2 Cam, 5th Injector
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

Paul Smith wrote:
tassuperkart wrote:EBC greens would be totally adequate and possibly a slight bias adjustment to move braking to the rear a little more to suite my particular braking style.
Is that because of "trail braking"?
Evan is known to push his braking on the track lol
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
Insane tuning

Post by Insane tuning »

Evan advise everytime, you have a fwd 900-1000kg N12 dude!!

dude, i run the EBC green stuff with standard drilled solid disc's (and there patten disc's) at the front, not only dose my ET out brake anything i have come up against (including tacky impreza's)!! They have also out lastest anything i have ever used before on any car - prob cos the ET is soo light esp. when stripped out :) but also there mega cheap pads also!!

They don't take any time to warm up... even if they did if you know your going for a hard drive your gonna warm them up anyway, unless your an idiot!

I would say go for the green stuff pads dude, if you need a part number i'll grab my spare set that has been sat in the shed for 4 years!! and read the part number off for ya, but they will have a listing in there book.....

oh just don't bother with there disc's... maybe bad luck but every single set of EBC disc's i have ever fitted to any of my cust cars they have warpped... maybe they don't follow the rest of the beddign in procedure?
But so far EBC green stuff pads have done nothing but impress me!!
Insane tuning

Post by Insane tuning »

Oh yer i use drums at th rear also dude!! make sure you bleed you system through good and use some thing like millers race brake fluid, that way if your brakes are running very hot you know the fluid won't let you down! also you got briaded brake lines?
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

The EBC importer couldn't supply pads for my exa, with either brake set up.... so if you can get us the part number that might help!

C
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

If you would like to push the boundaries of your braking system, then take it to a track day.

I think you will be surprised at how good the standard setup is.

I upgraded my brakes because:
- I had the bits
- I had the opportunity to have them machined/fitted onto the vehicle.
- The original system had worn out.

Brake pads for magna setups cost $28 from Bursons :)
Custom Lines were ~$100
Caliper kits were $30

They stopped my car so well that the g-forces caused all of the liquid in the master cylinder to run to the front of the master cylinder and run the rear pickup dry, degrading my braking throughout the day with the introduction of air into the system and making the car pull to one side under braking because of the diagonal delivery system.

At Sandown turn 1 I was able to brake at the 80m mark at 200km/hr, go round the corner at around 120kmph all day. It felt like my eyeballs were going to get sucked out.

I was able to out-brake some impressive cars that day. But the chassis paid for it. I am now faced with this:

- Having to baffle my master cylinder to stop it from running dry.
- Having to manufacture some brake reaction/control bars to stop the front end from splaying under hard braking.
- Trying to stop the car from 'diving' under hard braking.

So if you want a whole heap more of problems, then upgrade your brakes. Otherwise put some ducts on them, replace/rebleed your braking system, get some decent pads, and then go have fun on a track somewhere knowing that you are not going to have to spend too much more money on it.

Just my opinion.

Darren.
Race it.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Darren,
Nice to hear from you!

You could try for two little reservoirs, instead of a baffle.

The bottom brace has been on my mind for a little while, just got to get round to it like many other things!

The pads are key in my experience, followed by fluid stability, of any brake system and I can't find a good set so the next step will be to find a pair that are easy to grind down to suit.

C
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

I'd be interested see a brace for our pissweak lower arm setup.

That would be a fine thing.
BIGman_smallcar

Post by BIGman_smallcar »

hehe i find my upgraded brakes are the shit ay i mean mine came with already on it audi RS4 rotors and xr6 falcon calipers on the fronts and stock on the back and brakes plus high performance brake pads all round
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Sorry BIGman_smallcar, but I need that translated. Byt "are the shit ay" do you mean they are really good or really bad?

Also i'd like to see a few pict's of this brake setup, it sounds an impressive modification.

C