N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Worn wheel hub??

General chat related to anything N12.
raddavey

Worn wheel hub??

Post by raddavey »

i just got a call from the mechanic changing my wheel bearings a he's told me the hub is also worn out and needs to be changed. He's quoted me $165 2nd hand hub. is he trying to rip me off?? seems expensive 4 a 2nd hand hub. Also how can the hub wear out??
Ben Hewitson

Re: Worn wheel hub??

Post by Ben Hewitson »

raddavey wrote:i just got a call from the mechanic changing my wheel bearings a he's told me the hub is also worn out and needs to be changed. He's quoted me $165 2nd hand hub. is he trying to rip me off?? seems expensive 4 a 2nd hand hub. Also how can the hub wear out??
i've heard of this. when the wheel bearings are making excessive noise for a long period they can damage the hub. not real common though, but it is possible.
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

i can understand it wearing out but $165 2nd hand?? If thats the going rate thats ok but seems a lot for a hub.

I tried called coventrys but they dont list a hub. can you even get them new? Maybe thats why they have got a 2nd hand one.
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Call a few wrecking yards, even if you've no chance of getting one from them, at least you'll have an idea of price.
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

we got one from U-Pull-It for $15... that was second hand and hat to be removed by us. but it did the job.

also i dont think you can get one new.
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

OK well i called a wreckers and got quoted $50 for the hub. So i called back the mechanic and told him. He called back his wreckers and told him what i got quoted so they tried to match it at $66 but its the whole hub and knuckel assembly. So the wreckers were trying to rip me in the end.

So a bit cheaper now which makes me happier plus i'm not getting ripped off.
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

Well it ended up being the splines in the hub were worn out. Im suprised it didn't break there was bugger all meat left in the teeth. So i don't know if that wat was making the noise and wore the bearing out aswell or the worn bearing caused the hub to wear out. Anyway its all fixed now and the car actually drives straight rather than pulling to the left (which it has done the whole time i've owned it but i just thought itwas the alignment).

I was a bit annoyed that they put 8ks on the odometer and when i went to pick it up the mechanic that drove it goes "Your cars pretty fast mate!". For starters he shouldn't have driven it except to park it and he shouldn't have tested how fast it goes especially since it woudl have been cold only after 8ks.

Next time (if there is one) i'm definetly going to set the rev limit to 3000rpm.