{OS Giken} High Performance heavy duty Clutches {OS Giken}

General chat related to anything N12.
thepurplepulsar
Administrator
Administrator

Post by thepurplepulsar »

Rohan 84ET, here's the kit NPC kit.

http://www.npcperformance.com.au/cgi-bi ... nicsclutch

The kit I got through them a couple years back was a h/d Exedy full faced organic clutch with h/d pressure plate (1900lb). Maybe for a price comparison give you local clutch suppliers a call and see what they can come up with.
Number 5 on the Top Ten List - 12.39 @ 110mph

My Car
Rohan 84ET

Post by Rohan 84ET »

is that the only kit that NPC do 4 the N12? does that one do everything you hoped it would? heavy, but not overly? :?:

also, their twin plate clutches? how would these benefit you? or are they just massively heavy and ridiculous for street use?
ET coming back from the dead.

SAVE ME JEBAS!
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

EXAsperate wrote:Geezuz guys - brass button? is this necessary under 200kW? Bloody hell!

Their 1.5lt and FWD.....A heavy duty Excedy is more than enough. A standard RPM clutch is great on 10psi with a T25 (mine) never slips but i haven't run my autocross yet....plety of guys run on standard clutches there anyway. If you are track racing and its tight on off then maybe a 'super' heavy duty might be worth its weight.....but we had one in a silly-ca running a GT4 motor (3sGTE) my brother had....was an ARSEH*LE to drive around town....easy to stall, shudders on take off and this was a 210kw FWD (not 4WD). Chewed gearboxes. I say keep the clutch as your sacrafical link, its far cheaper than a new gearbox, CV joints and diff.... or even worse a blown motor due to transmitted stresses.

thats my 2 cents
+1 - from what I gather, the driveline's not up to handling much more grunt than the standard clutch can transfer...
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Rohan 84ET wrote:......also, their twin plate clutches? how would these benefit you? or are they just massively heavy and ridiculous for street use?
Multi-plate clutches are always lighter than a standard single plate for the same grip.
Reason is twice the friction area so you either use a much smaller clutch or a much lighter diaphragm for the same job as a single plate.
However, there is a lot more "dragging" going on with the clutch disks x 2 and the intermediate drive plate so selecting gears and slow driving can be a little clunky.
L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
thepurplepulsar
Administrator
Administrator

Post by thepurplepulsar »

Rohan 84ET wrote:is that the only kit that NPC do 4 the N12? does that one do everything you hoped it would? heavy, but not overly? :?:

also, their twin plate clutches? how would these benefit you? or are they just massively heavy and ridiculous for street use?
Thats the only kit you need. It will handle the power you are producing, smooth and easy on your left leg.
Number 5 on the Top Ten List - 12.39 @ 110mph

My Car
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

EXAsperate wrote:Geezuz guys - brass button? is this necessary under 200kW? Bloody hell!

Their 1.5lt and FWD.....A heavy duty Excedy is more than enough. A standard RPM clutch is great on 10psi with a T25 (mine) never slips but i haven't run my autocross yet....plety of guys run on standard clutches there anyway. If you are track racing and its tight on off then maybe a 'super' heavy duty might be worth its weight.....but we had one in a silly-ca running a GT4 motor (3sGTE) my brother had....was an ARSEH*LE to drive around town....easy to stall, shudders on take off and this was a 210kw FWD (not 4WD). Chewed gearboxes. I say keep the clutch as your sacrafical link, its far cheaper than a new gearbox, CV joints and diff.... or even worse a blown motor due to transmitted stresses.

thats my 2 cents
Precisely my thoughts.
But although I didn't like the one in my rotor, I didn't see that as a good enuf reason for me to split the box & engine and buy a new one to go in. And I'm lazy.
But once this one dies (which unfortunately won't be for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages) I will be following the NPC route.
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
MRN12

Doug @ NPC

Post by MRN12 »

You can talk to Doug at NPC and ask him questions as to what would be best for your application but you'll find that the kit they do will do all that you want and give you pretty much the same pedal feel as a factory clutch but with a lot more pressure somewhere around 1800lbs. Don't be scared of a puck clutch, you just need to learn to drive it right.

Cameron
13.45@101mph
Currently No.12 E15ET Top Ten
Rohan 84ET

Post by Rohan 84ET »

i dont even know how a puck clutch would differ from a normal one, i am taking a stab and thinking that its like the button clutch, either on or off?
ET coming back from the dead.

SAVE ME JEBAS!
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

they break boxes due to the driver not because of the clutch, i got sick of having HD clutches slip their ass off before i got to redline
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
EXAsperate

Post by EXAsperate »

The Renegade wrote:

thats my 2 cents
Precisely my thoughts.
But although I didn't like the one in my rotor, I didn't see that as a good enuf reason for me to split the box & engine and buy a new one to go in. And I'm lazy.
But once this one dies (which unfortunately won't be for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages) I will be following the NPC route.
Oh by all means if its in the car already - i would leave it too...hell it will last for EEEEEEEVVVVVERRRRR. I have an organic HD exedy in my commonbore - Its great and more than enough. I tow a fair bit (the exa all the time - coz it has no reg now) but it is a pig to drive in peak traffic and car parks....i can launch it in second though....buuuuuttt.......that doesn't help the back lash in my diff. I am trying to break it to get permission off my self for my LSD.
EXAsperate - to wind up, infuriate, drive mad, frustrate, annoy and drive around the bend.
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

EXAsperate wrote:
Oh by all means if its in the car already - i would leave it too...hell it will last for EEEEEEEVVVVVERRRRR. I have an organic HD exedy in my commonbore - Its great and more than enough. I tow a fair bit (the exa all the time - coz it has no reg now) but it is a pig to drive in peak traffic and car parks....i can launch it in second though....buuuuuttt.......that doesn't help the back lash in my diff. I am trying to break it to get permission off my self for my LSD.
Yeah, I reckon I'll be waaaay over it by the time it's due for replacement....
Those organic clutches are the go, I'd like to try one on an E15ET one day.
Commonbore clutches are a pig in stock form! My first Manual one was a VN and I thought there was something wrong with the setup when I first got it!

So anyways Rohan - what have you come up with? Are you getting an NPC?
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================