N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Whats could be the problem/fixes?

General chat related to anything N12.
dahurldog

Whats could be the problem/fixes?

Post by dahurldog »

Hi

Ever since I took my car to get a bit of auto electric work done, the car, firstly, wouldnt start, and was replaced with new spark plugs. The car ran ok (not at its best) for around 3-4 days, before it started to sound like a rex and run off what I believe was 3 cyls. Last night, it wouldnt start. It turned over, and almost got there, but it just seemed that there was not enough cylinder action to get it there. Today, I checked all the spark plugs, and while heavily carbon-deposited, were ok. HOWEVER, there was ALOT of derbris and shit on the spark plug threads and in the holes themselves (I was just praying it wasnt on the pistons and shit) I eventually got the car started (just) but it was running rough as guts, spewing white smoke and definately 1 or 2 cyls down. Now, my mechanic friend thinks it might be a head gasket or cracked head, so I think I might need to get it inspected. It is a cometic gasket, so I was praying it wasnt blown, and the engine was rebuilt with forged internals and the head ported and reconditioned around 20 000ks ago.

Does anyone know what else to check for? Why has it happened over a few days... and why did it suddenly not start, then start with new plugs, then run shit again???

Help needed!!!

Hurls
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

Sounds like there is water in the cylinders probbaly due to a corrodid head or leaking gasket. It worked with the new plugs because they were flooded up with water. When it doesn't start try turning it over with the plugs out and fuel off (remove fuel pump relay) you might see what coming out of the spark plug holes.

Also while its running like a wrx pull each lead off one at a time to determine which cylinder isn't firing. This is most likely where the water is getting in. Or at least where the problem is.

This happened twice to me. I think because i was topping up with rain/bore water. I had the a recond head on there and it only lasted about a year before it corrodid again. Now i know to only use coolant and to flush the radiator everynow and then. Hopefully this head doesn't have problems because i put a lot of money into it.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Sounds very much like a head gasket M8. Have it pressure tested.

Happened straight after some auto electrical work eh?
I hope those sparkies didnt take it for a spin just for laughs and overcooked it.
Lets hope Im wrong.

As an aside.
Never fail to make a note of the exact reading of the odometer and trip meter and dont reset the trip meter before leaving cars with sparks, mechanics or panelbeaters.
Gives you ammunition to hang them if you suspect your car has been given a good hiding while away from you.
I know this has happened on occasions with me but i could never prove it at the time.

L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
dahurldog

Post by dahurldog »

ECU is fucked. Its getting repaired next week. should be a hefty bill. My exa and I are now having issues.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Is this a stock ECU you are having "repaired"?

I hope not as you can have them for peanuts.

Ive got 2 of them here if you need one.
Make me an offer.

l8tr
E
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

My exa and I are now having issues.

I hope she doesn't become your 'EX'!! oooo thats lame :)

If you have aftermarket ecu, rev limit it to 3K and disconnect hand controller. Some of these people are the pits.

Yep don't pay to fix ECU, purchase! Assuming it is a standard on?

Darren.
dahurldog

Post by dahurldog »

tassuperkart - very interested - as long as you can assure me that they work. I really need one to be express posted monday, so if you think thats possible, we could work out prices etc over the phone if thats ok??!! Call me on 0418153487 anytime ok. Very keen to grab one!!

Thanks mate
Tim
angel

Post by angel »

tassuperkart wrote: Happened straight after some auto electrical work eh?
I hope those sparkies didnt take it for a spin just for laughs and overcooked it.
Lets hope Im wrong.

As an aside.
Never fail to make a note of the exact reading of the odometer and trip meter and dont reset the trip meter before leaving cars with sparks, mechanics or panelbeaters.
Gives you ammunition to hang them if you suspect your car has been given a good hiding while away from you.
I know this has happened on occasions with me but i could never prove it at the time.

L8tr
E
i do most of my own work, or get a mate to help out. But if i ever have to take my car to a shop, im going to change to rpm cut of to 3500, and boost cut of to like 5psi. im sure that will stop there little joy rides
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

dahurldog wrote:tassuperkart - very interested - as long as you can assure me that they work. I really need one to be express posted monday, so if you think thats possible, we could work out prices etc over the phone if thats ok??!! Call me on 0418153487 anytime ok. Very keen to grab one!!

Thanks mate
Tim

Also dude, make sure it's not just the plug on the front of the ECU. They are renowned for becoming loose and creating phantom faults with the engine.
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
dahurldog

Post by dahurldog »

nah, replaced the ecu, and she runs heaps better now. its not idling all that well though and there is a bit of a baackfire. the fuel pressure is also a little low...
JeffET

Post by JeffET »

similar thing happened to me, wouldnt start in the mornings, and on the rare occasion that it did, the car was fine once it warmed up. took the head off and this was the cause:

dahurldog

Post by dahurldog »

did exactly the same thing again. wont run any more. replaced the ecu, worked for a bit, then just shat itself again. its like the cylinders just shut down 1 by 1, till it just wont go. any ideas? its really pissing me off let alone costing me a fuckin fortune
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

If changing the ECU worked for a while then possibly there's a wiring or plug problem.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Is there somebody close by with an ET you can swap the dizzy with?

Im wondering if you have a rooted CAS
L8tr
E
dahurldog

Post by dahurldog »

would that cause the overfuelling and fouling of the plugs?

hurls