N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

what the hell is going on!!?!??? need help!

General chat related to anything N12.
toxic_et

what the hell is going on!!?!??? need help!

Post by toxic_et »

ok i just put half my engine back together. i put all new studs, gaskets etc on turbo/manifolds. i removed the "log" also coz i have a reloacated afm. and also removed air con and condenser etc to make way for the cooler.

somethings gone wrong. i start my car and itll idle for maybe 3 seconds and then just die. and as soon as i touch the throttle it dies straight away. the afm, and throttle body and log have all been ruled out. i tested them all. and the tps isnt stuffed either. has this happened to anyone else????
1984 ET Turbo, rebuilt engine, schwitzer turbo, RB30 TB, Relocated afm, k&n filter, oil catch can, Boost Controller (13psi), BOV, 2.5" Exhaust, Koni Reds, Low Kings.
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Maybe an air leak? It'd have to be a fairly sizable one though.
Umm, i did have something likw this when I did my AFM relocation years ago, but I'm damned if I can remember what it was.....
I know you said you tested the afm, but you haven't got it in upside down? And the flap is operating fine?
Check the lights on the ECU and see if there's an error code on it. Might point you in the right direction.
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

did you remove the Log or replace it..? if its gone and you loose all the sendors off it, including the black 'cold-start injector' you'll flood the engine after about 5 seconds and it will stall.

you need to keep that black sensor inline or it will not work.
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Yeah, I took it out of line, so the AFM and air filter hung off the turbo.
Then I blocked the log off at each end and plumbed a line from between the AFM and the turbo to it, this way the cold start sensors worked A1.
--------------------

The beast:
=====================
=====================
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

Ben Hewitson wrote:including the black 'cold-start injector'
i hope your not implying it injects fuel :shock:
etking

Post by etking »

try disconnecting the tps and starting it, when i put my new head on i installed vl tb and for some random reason wouldnt start (like yours started for about 2 secs before dying), disconnected tps and she started, connected it back on and i was away ... just a suggestion
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

no it injects air. but it is called the "cold start injector" or "air regulator" in all the technical manuals. it allows air to bypass the throttle body's butterfly to increase revs at cold idle

toxic_et

Post by toxic_et »

ah ok. thanks guys. yea the guy who had the car before me had blocked both ends of the log and had the afm reloacated. i was told it could be taken off completely so i tried that to clear up the engine bay a bit. ill fiddle around with the cold start injector and see wat happens. thanks again!
1984 ET Turbo, rebuilt engine, schwitzer turbo, RB30 TB, Relocated afm, k&n filter, oil catch can, Boost Controller (13psi), BOV, 2.5" Exhaust, Koni Reds, Low Kings.
toxic_et

Post by toxic_et »

alright i i think i plugged my lod all back in but just sat it in the engine bay coz i didnt want to take off the tb again and still no luck. i tried unpluggin th tps. no luck. i checked the fault code lights on the ecu and it flashes up the idle controller. and also i just removed my aircon. will that affect the running of the car if it shows up the air con fault code. im gonna have to put the log back in fully anyway becos there is 2 holes it covers on the intake manifold and water just pisses out of em otherwise wen i tried filling my radiator back up. also. theres the possibility i could have damaged the ecu becos stupid me didnt unplug the battery before i disconnected any plugs etc and if they had shorted it could have done sumthing which leads to my next question. will an 87 ulp ecu run in a 84 model engine?
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

If the ECU is flashing "Idle Controller Fault" then I'd check the idle controller. After all, isn't the problem that it won't idle???
--------------------

The beast:
=====================
=====================
wis41

Post by wis41 »

Did you car have a factory a/c setup? i didnt know they came with a/c. You wanna sell it, since u took it out?
Sam