N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Replacing the radiator: alternatives

General chat related to anything N12.
pjscacco

Replacing the radiator: alternatives

Post by pjscacco »

I recently smashed the front end on my N12ET and bent the radiator.

Rather than buying a 20 year old radiator from a wrecker does anyone know if you can retro fit a radiator from another car?

Thanks

PJS
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

you can get it fixed. NATRAD quoted me $620 for new end tanks on my core.. cough.. ripoff.. cough.

you cant buy new radiators as far as i know. so you could go a custom..

you can mod an N13 exa radiator i think...
angel

Post by angel »

i have heard of people who use s13 radiators, they are also thinner, so its easier to fit a big ass turbo
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

just get a second hand one and reco it. - a couple hundred dollars.

s13 one- mounted like this it looks like there is less room!

Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

i got quotes $620 to have my radiator reco'd... that as new core and my old end tanks. thats pretty expensive since a second-hand N13 or S13 would cost you between $100-$300...
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

i tried the S13 setup in mine u have to mod the lower front engine mount for it to fit and i just thought stuff that for a joke haha so im getting a custom to fit in the radiator support rather than against it. was quoted 420 if he had teh core or 520 if he had to order it and they are PWR cores :)
BQ.05.TD

Post by BQ.05.TD »

thats a good price matt. when looknig at wat a rebuild costs and the room a stock one takes up.

will u be getting a half size one or one the same size. how u hooknig up the bottom radiator hose to the block.
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

i wil basically have it slighlty smaller so it fits in the hole in front of the radiator(the hole in the) radiator support so it will move forward about an inch . so ispose itll be about 2inchs shorter and about 2-3inchs narrower and will have the hose inlet/outlet in close to stock positions and will use silicone hosing to connect it up but first i need teh engine in and the stock radiator squeezed in there on and angle i rekon
BQ.05.TD

Post by BQ.05.TD »

oohh k kool. yer if i get one i will have it half size. so i will have to run a metal pipe then hose to the bottom hose inlet on the block. i cant move my radiator forward cause the davis graig fans will hit the cooler. decisions decisions decisions lol
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

ahhh see i thought of that crap ages ago i got 2 8or 10in cant remember DC thermos they fit over top of the cooler :) just gotta work out my shit :) also if ya wanna go half teh size a suzuki swift one fits nicely and keep temps under control they are aluminium my mate had one fitted with a cooler right next to it very neat and stock looking install very short piping as well :)
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

If it helps, my radiator is out of a late 80's Honda Prelude and it fits snugly within the cutout in the radiator support panels.
50 bucks from pick-a-part.

It took me about an hour to fabricate some simple lower mounts. I used the stock Honda upper mounts.
The water outlets are in almost the same spot as an ET radiator but face straight back. easy. In the end I had the top outlet altered slightly to clear the battery in the stock position and i made some radiator hoses out of some generic water hose bends.

Dont get too excited about aluminium radiators tho lads.
Ally radiatirs are so common because they are cheap and easy to fabricate and look really trick.
Thats about where any advantage ends.

An aluminium radiator of X dimensions and volume is roughly 1/3 LESS efficient than a copper radiator of the same dimensions and water volume.
No matter what the makers claim.

L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
cherryturbojames

Post by cherryturbojames »

i used an n13 rad in mine with good results
get down a breakers yard with a tape measure
SammyET

bursons

Post by SammyET »

Last time I was at Bursons they had brand new aluminium radiators in varying shapes and sizes starting at about $180. Looked a bargain to me.. the were the type that the core flow from top to bottom, not across. Bursons is like repco for those where it doesnt exist.

Sam