N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

17' Rims

General chat related to anything N12.
WXTBIX

17' Rims

Post by WXTBIX »

Just wondering if anyone has had their guards rolled to fit 17" wheels on. 215's, with spacer. If so did you get the guards rolled, or flared? Im am respraying the car so not to fussed if the paint chips/peels. Does anyone know the rough cost for this?

Cheers

Kris
etking

Post by etking »

hmm goodluck with 215s on the back, i have 205s and they scrap a bit, im guessing you have yours lowered on going to be? you will definitely need to roll your guards as much as you can and try n use a small spacer to get the tyres in under the guards ... you also might need to do some chopping or grinding inside the wheel arch on the suspension arm cover i think .. cant remember exactly what it is, someone else will be able to enlighten me...??
angel

Re: 17' Rims

Post by angel »

WXTBIX wrote:Just wondering if anyone has had their guards rolled to fit 17" wheels on. 215's, with spacer. If so did you get the guards rolled, or flared? Im am respraying the car so not to fussed if the paint chips/peels. Does anyone know the rough cost for this?

Cheers

Kris
i dont think you will be able to fit 215 in there, 205's are hard enough, have at look at my article on fitting 17's http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=39.

good luck
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

i had to roll my guards front and rear to fit 195/55/15's on an EXA... 10mm spacers on the back, 0 on the front.. so ireckon you'll definately need to do a little work..

also with the rear end, you have to cut away the rear swing arm to clearence the tyre (check out my ET brakes on N12 EXA thread, roll the rear guards and you may need to remove the upper shroud from your shock absorber or re-drill the top mounting hole to move the shock away from the wheel.

also the back of the inner guard will foul on anything wider than a 7" rim. i had so much trouble with 16x7.5's that i decided not to worry. just at the back of the guard there is a little flap of metal that will need cutting out.

WXTBIX

17' wheels

Post by WXTBIX »

sorry guy a type occurred, they are 205's. so from the replies that i got, all i need to do is roll the guards and get on the grinder.

Cheers,

Kris
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Keep in mind though, that if you grind the suspension arm, you are weakening it. So it's probably not a bad idea to grab the welder out too and make sure you strengthen it.
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
etking

Post by etking »

i have 205s and have not grinded the suspension arm, i have a larger spacer, not sure exactly what it is so that it doesnt touch it, although i cant have more than 1 passenger in the back before the tyres scrap on the guard almost permanently

altho i think down the track i will grind suspension arm and go for a smaller spacer to get the tyres right under the guards, have a go and take some pics and let us know how you go
WoL-E

re

Post by WoL-E »

hey guys... just got a set of 17s with 205s but havent put them on yet... currently hav 15s with 195s with no probz. didnt realise it was so difficult to chuck 17s on... is it only the back thats the problem or the front too? and as far as spacers go wat size? and r they needed at the front?

thanx... wally
angel

Re: re

Post by angel »

WoL-E wrote:hey guys... just got a set of 17s with 205s but havent put them on yet... currently hav 15s with 195s with no probz. didnt realise it was so difficult to chuck 17s on... is it only the back thats the problem or the front too? and as far as spacers go wat size? and r they needed at the front?

thanx... wally
it really depends on the offset of yout rims. i have 8mm spacers on mine, but to use ones that big you have to use bigger studs.

http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=39.

check this article out, it has all the details on fitting 17's
WoL-E

re

Post by WoL-E »

yeah thanx mate i had a look... just was unclear about the front.

ill giv it a shot see wat happens

thanx
DUBGT

rolled or lipped?? try grind!

Post by DUBGT »

Mate if you painting the car grind the lip completely off. Just leave about 3mm from the edge to maintain the sight of the lip.

The rear is the issue. That rear control arm is not 17x7 friendly. Bolt on spacer is the best and safest option in 15mm. I can send you pics if you want to see what they look like. Worth ever cent.

I did this on my project and I fit 205x40x17 but i would say you would get away with 215.
angel

Re: rolled or lipped?? try grind!

Post by angel »

DUBGT wrote:Mate if you painting the car grind the lip completely off. Just leave about 3mm from the edge to maintain the sight of the lip.

The rear is the issue. That rear control arm is not 17x7 friendly. Bolt on spacer is the best and safest option in 15mm. I can send you pics if you want to see what they look like. Worth ever cent.

I did this on my project and I fit 205x40x17 but i would say you would get away with 215.
that set you had was great, but it depends on the offset, i tried a similar think with my rims, but it wouldn't work, i run 8mm spaces and could probably go 10mm but no bigger
etking

Post by etking »

yeh im pretty sure i have a 15mm spacer, 8mm was too small, hit on the control arm.

dubgt can u post up a pic of ur set up
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

i run 10 cos thats all i could steal at the time 8mm will do it witha 40+ offset rim 17x7 tiny bit of grinding of the arm well actually prolly dont need any but u never know :) also rolling the gaurds is a must but then again i needed 5mm spacer and rolled gaurds for 15s lmao