N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Overfuelling Dramas

General chat related to anything N12.
Paul Smith

Overfuelling Dramas

Post by Paul Smith »

I have fitted a VL pump and it started out quiet but after a couple of minutes of running it's making an uneven buzzing noise. Maybe it's stuffed.

The real problem is that now when both pumps are running it's overfuelling. It's running so rich that it bogs down and is terrible to drive. It'll hammer in 1st with some patience but any other gear is bad. It has no power.

I changed the fuel pressure regulator and that did nothing. I even fitted a rising rate regulator and bypassed the stock reg. It goes better with one fuel pump than it did before but still goes horribly rich when 2 pumps are running.

Any ideas?
toprpm

re fuel

Post by toprpm »

may be the injectors
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

That is strange. I'm don't know heaps about fuel systems but if the fuel pressure is the same then the flow should be the same going through the injectors no matter how many pumps there are because you can't change the injector size.

Are you sure its not going lean? Have you checked the fuel pressure with a gauge? Maybe the VL pump is stuffed and actually causing a restriction making it lean out. Although your symptons of bogging down does suggest its rich.

Unless fuel is flowing at a too fast rate and the return line is slightly blocked causing the fuel pressure to rise.
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

It definately goes rich. Black smoke pours out the zorst.
Guess I'll have to check out the return line.
Another weird thing is that it leans out on one pump which is why I fitted the second pump.
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

That is bizzare. It must be a fuel pressure issue though. Like i said the only thing effects flow rate is the pressure and the cross section. THe injectors aren't getting any bigger so the fuel pressure must have increased.
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

It's amazing how stupid I'm getting in my old age. I knew that the previous owner had reversed the fuel lines and I had to take that into account. I thought I had but my head must have been on backwards. Turns out the fuel was being pumped down the return.
Sorry to waste your time and thanks for helping. :oops:
angel

Post by angel »

Paul Smith wrote:It's amazing how stupid I'm getting in my old age. I knew that the previous owner had reversed the fuel lines and I had to take that into account. I thought I had but my head must have been on backwards. Turns out the fuel was being pumped down the return.
Sorry to waste your time and thanks for helping. :oops:
that pretty funny paul, im always doing stupid stuff like that. So how is it running now?
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

A little better than before but it's still dropping off boost. It'll go to 15 in 1st and touch 15 in 2nd but quickly reduce to 10. In 3rd and 4th it'll only briefly touch 10 and quickly drop to around 8lb. I might run a rising rate reg until I get my programmable ECU fitted.
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

You know how I was comenting on how stupid I'm getting? Well...
I think I had the boost controller fitted backwards. I'll test it tomorrow.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Bwaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha silly old bastard!!!!!!!! ROFLMAO
L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

well not too long before ur in a old persons home there paul ;)
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Oi!
Thats awfully harsh....................................... casting aspersions on us errrm............mature folk!
LMAO
L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

well first its the memory then the rest ;) hey im not that young anyway i shouldnt say too much hahaha
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

Huh?... What were we talking about?...Oh yeah, I did have the boost controller on arse about.
The car has gone back to hammerin'. Woohoo!!
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

tsk tsk oh well at least she goes now :)