N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

how do you remove springs from front strut????

General chat related to anything N12.
exanator

how do you remove springs from front strut????

Post by exanator »

hey as topic says how do you remove springs front the front struts???

ive removed the struts and want to replace them with new springs and i tried unbolting the big bolt uptop of the front strut and it just kept rotating so who ever knows please tell me as i need to fit my suspension as my car is my daily driver!!!!

cheers, sam!
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

you need a spring compressor. once the spring is compressed you'll be able to undo the top of the strut and then take the spring out. mine were both stuck and so i had to take them to blackwood tyre centre and they did them for me for $30.. a quick search on the internet found me 1000 or so pages of information on this topic.

make sure you get a wheel alignment afterwards.. mine handled like crap till i got it aligned.. makes a huge difference. even if a stock replacement spring is installed.

something like this. i payed $20 for them new. from sprint i think.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/3g/h ... niinfo.htm

The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

You're lucky, mine don't have the hex head in the shaft.

If you have the ones like mine, you need to hit the nut on top with a rattle gun before you undo anything else to loosen it off. then once you take all of the rest of it out the nut should require little effort to get off.
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

Renegade, thats exactly what i had to do with mine.. The images i supplied are just to show what needs to be done. its usually different on every car.

i found that with the N12 suspension it didn't have a spot on the shaft to attach a spanner.. so instead of using multi grips (bad..) i got the compresed air gun onto it.. Bam.!!! just about lost my wrist but i got one off. had to take the other to a tyre shop for them to do..
angel

Post by angel »

Ben Hewitson wrote:Renegade, thats exactly what i had to do with mine.. The images i supplied are just to show what needs to be done. its usually different on every car.

i found that with the N12 suspension it didn't have a spot on the shaft to attach a spanner.. so instead of using multi grips (bad..) i got the compresed air gun onto it.. Bam.!!! just about lost my wrist but i got one off. had to take the other to a tyre shop for them to do..
yeh i was lucky when i did mine, i had the hex key one, then we just welded up a special spanner type thing to hold the nut. a bit of love and some constipated faces later, it was undone.

But yes best bet is to take it to a tyre place so they can get the rattle gun onto it, unless you already have one.
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

absolutely. for the $30 it cost to purchase spring compressors i could have just taken it somewhere. they had it done for me in 20mins anyway, so i wouldn't have lost time without my car. (lucky also they are only 2km's up the road as struts are bloody heavy..)

but dexanator, dude, take them some place to have the work done, it will cost you about as much as spring compressors and its really the best option.