N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

bought bosch coil, do i need to use the transistor?

General chat related to anything N12.
angel

bought bosch coil, do i need to use the transistor?

Post by angel »

hi all

i just bought a Bosch HEC 715 coil, (the black one)

My question is, do i still need to use the standard transistor.

the coil is and "electronic transformer ingnition coil"

cheers

angel
Last edited by angel on Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

What resistor Angel? If you mean that boxey little device the coil wires come from then it won't run without it. That's a transistor or ignitor.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

yer M8, your post title says "transistor" but your post says "resistor"

There is no resistor in the ET setup so im presuming your referring to the transistor thingy attached to the original coil as Paul points out.

No, it will not run without the transistor and there is a good chance you might fry your ECU if you try to run it without the transistor.

L8tr
E
angel

Post by angel »

yeh sorry guys, it was a typo.

thanks for the info, i hooked the new coil up tonight, and it feels smoother. i think the old coil was on its way out. and holy crap it sparks alot more

cheers

angel
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

I hooked up my MSD and the car felt brighter and more responsive. Then I fitted Top Gun Max 300 leads and it's even better.
angel

Post by angel »

Paul Smith wrote:I hooked up my MSD and the car felt brighter and more responsive. Then I fitted Top Gun Max 300 leads and it's even better.
hi paul, how much were the top gun max leads and what size are they, im only running 8mm leads right now.

also you live in brissy dont you, id love to meet up some time to see how things are going on your car

cheers

angel

p.s i live on the west side
SammyET

leads

Post by SammyET »

Hey i'd love you guy's opinions on this..
Ive always been told that all you really need is some good bosch leads.. kind you get from any car shop sports series etc. They seem to do the job and I think they're fine, and people in the the know seem to think the top gun huuuge 10mm leads are a whole lot of wank factor.. and arent all that good. I know my old set I could see leaking spark at night.. but unsure of the age. what does ur experience say?? Is it worth spending all the extra money?

Sam
angel

Re: leads

Post by angel »

wassup393 wrote:Hey i'd love you guy's opinions on this..
Ive always been told that all you really need is some good bosch leads.. kind you get from any car shop sports series etc. They seem to do the job and I think they're fine, and people in the the know seem to think the top gun huuuge 10mm leads are a whole lot of wank factor.. and arent all that good. I know my old set I could see leaking spark at night.. but unsure of the age. what does ur experience say?? Is it worth spending all the extra money?

Sam
they way i see it is leads are a bit like speaker wire, in that you can have a massive amp behind it, but unless you have the proper gauge wire, your not using it to the full potential. thats what i always thought.
But opinions on what people have tried and tested,
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

Hey Angel I live at Goodna.

The Max 300's cost $45. They are 8mm. I'm using them because the MSD needs helical or spiral wound leads. I believe the Bosch Super Sport leads are fine for the stock ignition.
angel

Post by angel »

Paul Smith wrote:Hey Angel I live at Goodna.

The Max 300's cost $45. They are 8mm. I'm using them because the MSD needs helical or spiral wound leads. I believe the Bosch Super Sport leads are fine for the stock ignition.
ok, only 8mm, thought they would have been bigger for an ignition set up loke yours; but i dont really know much about the ignition side of things.

i live in toowong, which is only about 20mins from you, ill have to drop by sometime for a chat.

can anyone else add any info
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

I don't know if it's always the case but I have read that the extra thickness of 10mm leads is often just extra insulation to look good. :)
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

size doesntmatter its the quality of the leads well thats what my girl says :(
angel

Post by angel »

Panda_ET wrote:size doesntmatter its the quality of the leads well thats what my girl says :(
ha ha, thats what i say to myself..

ok, what brand would be considered "quality" i have top gun leads, are they no good?
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

i only bought topgun cos im povo they are shite and from what my mate said topgun arent recomended for use with microtechs to do with noise. i wanted to buy NGK leads but was too pricey
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

That's strange. The Top Gun's are supposed to be good for noise. Oh well who knows for sure? They have a 3 year guarantee so I'll see how they hold up.