N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

head issues

General chat related to anything N12.
ETTRBO

head issues

Post by ETTRBO »

pointless story can skip and read questions at the bottom if you like

ok ive kinda asked a few questions on ne.com and i thought id ask here as this is more a n12 area that the other place, my car has only been running on 2cyl for the past 6mnths and been pissed off with mechanics and like doing things myself i have been trying to sort the problem out, ive replaces plugs, leads, loom, ecu, and while i was at it i upgraded the turbo so it now runs the trusty t25g lol,

The story started off fine, then i brought a microtech mt4 that was great ran perfectly then the g/box blew and lost job lol so needing a car i sold the mt4 to buy gearbox, i put the old ecu in and now it just wont run like it should

the head was rebuilt 200ks ago and i know i was ripped off and it was slaped together because now one of the bolts that holds down the rocker rail is striped and came out, i thought it just vibrated loose so i went to tighten it and it was striped cant get it back out it just spins?

lol so after all that my questions are -

1) how do i get the bolt out to replace?
2) can it be done without removing the head?
3) would this cause the car to run like it is?

thanks in advance guys! :D
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

Not having even pressure on the entire head gasges has probably caused it do blow a hole between two cylinders.

Its probably just that, but if the pressure is really un even, water may have been let into the cylinders and the plugs could be soaked.

Pull it off and do it again properly, thats the only way.
ETTRBO

Post by ETTRBO »

there is nothing wrong with the head gasket, its the rocker rail that has come loose
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

I'd definately get that bolt out and fix that up first, otherwise you could spend ages chasing a fault that the bolt will fix. If it's allowing some pressure off the rocker rail then when an exhaust valve is trying to be shut, it might be letting pressure out of the cylinder if it''s noot sealed properly.
Just hope that it's the bolt that's lost it's thread and not the head.
Good luck.
SammyET

Rail

Post by SammyET »

And you'll need to replace your rocker rail now as they have to be bolted evenly or it'll be bent and you'll have troubles forever :p

Good luck

Sam
ETTRBO

Post by ETTRBO »

oooh i see hehe oops, how much do they go for?

and how would i get this bolt out i kinda dont want to remove the head i only got the gaskets replaced 200ks ago?

thanks guys
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Use some easy outs.

Or, the way i did it once (but with a bigger bolt) drill a small hole in it, screw in a screw with a very course thread, use the screw to grip on to and turn it and pull up at the same time.
ETTRBO

Post by ETTRBO »

i used a pair of vice grips and had a very tight grip i pulled and turned at the same time but all it does is spin it wont come out lol
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

M8
Take the freakin head off, take it to a machine shop and have it done RIGHT.

Christ, all this frigging around to save a 50 dollar gasket.

Go to a wrecker, find ANY Pulsar with an E15 carby engine in it.
Get urself another rocker shaft assembly. Bolt it up, clean the head and block properly, refit the head with a new gasket and away you go.

Do it RIGHT the first time.
L8tr
E
ETTRBO

Post by ETTRBO »

tryed that and look where i am now
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Its quite simple really, You DIDNT do it right did you!

Now, either fix it properly or just dont drive it at all. You call dude.
L8tr
E
ETTRBO

Post by ETTRBO »

i didnt do it a mechanic did i dunno why your having a go at me mate but all i asked for was help, and thanks to john howard im only casual so trying to get it done and on the road and support a family isnt easy but it doesnt matter because ive done it
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

So its fixed now? Good to hear :) Now go reep the rewards in the the form of some burned rubber :P
ETTRBO

Post by ETTRBO »

yep its all done spent from 3am lastnight till 5am only got to get new rocker rail and rockers because i fitted the new cam, so i cant wait its been 6mnth wait :D all that is left is get some rego on it