N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

hey e15 into Datsun 1200

General chat related to anything N12.
brocky41

hey e15 into Datsun 1200

Post by brocky41 »

hey ivseen the massive power you guys are getting out of these engines and was wondering if one of these motors would bolt up to a datsun a series gearbox without much trouble? does ne 1 no of this being done ?
iwasthinking of going sr20det but some of the power figures im seeing here would be great as its a lighter engine by far cheers
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

i think there was a little discussion about this a while ago, the outcome i think was that it was feasable, although being a fwd motor the distributor is going to be facing the firewall
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

Yes distributor is the main problem. i think the A series 5 speed gearbox matees up fairly well, so thats no problem, custom loom and engine mounts are the next hurdle. but thats not an issue either..

you could always make a custom exhaust manifold and bolt on a T25... nice 42mm DCOE webber and away you go..

some of these options are much easier than dumping in an L18, or L20b.. as they require firewall and trans tunnel mods.. you could always go a 700HP Lancia Integrale motor..? no gearbox issues there.. goes in on custom mounts..
brocky41

Post by brocky41 »

yea i think the sr is going to be the way to go you can get an easy 300+ kw atw out of them aye i think ill stik with a rwd drive motor, ca18det is the next option just sr parts are much easier tocome by cheers for the help guys love the times ur getting out of those "dastun" pulsars
BQ.05.TD

Post by BQ.05.TD »

brocky41 wrote:yea i think the sr is going to be the way to go you can get an easy 300+ kw atw out of them aye i think ill stik with a rwd drive motor, ca18det is the next option just sr parts are much easier tocome by cheers for the help guys love the times ur getting out of those "dastun" pulsars
lol its easy to get 300kw atw but its not bloody cheap. ya can bolt on 300kw with a sr.

i would still go the sr over the ca or the e15t. but a nother option is the allmighty fj20et. now that is a motor all
brocky41

Post by brocky41 »

yea the fj's are a great almost bullit proof motor but arejust to heavy for my tiny 1200, evn the sr's are slightly on the heavyside, the 1600 boys use the fj moore as they are slightly bigger cars, thanks for the reply
Slack

Post by Slack »

Go the E15!

You can solve the distributor issue by installing an after market ECU and running individual coils.

In the end it depends on what you want. If all out power is your goal, go the SR. If you just want a fun street car, the E15 is the way to go! Enougth power to keep a smile on your face and much less common than an SR :)
SammyET

E15

Post by SammyET »

Yea I say go the E15!!! As he said.. your gonna hav an aftermarket computer for a custom job like that and you could make it fit... maybe a slight intrusion to the firewall...
But the E15s are so much more FUN than an SR!! Ask anyone here.. it just wouldnt be the same. Up to you.. but I'd love to break traction on the rears for once!!

Sam
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Thats going to be a fair job tho for what amounts to a fairly low tel engine swap.

Getting an adapter plate, a new flywheel and an extended spigot bearing housing added to the e15 crank and makiing it all match up and work with the A series starter motor and clutch release aint going to be peanuts gungadin!
Remember, the Pulsar geabox input shaft does not engage into a spigot bearing in the back of the crank on an E15. It just hangs in the breeze with a clutch disk hanging off it, whereas an A series input shaft does require a spigot bearing to support the input shaft.
The gearbox moves back the thickness of the adapter plate and thats going to be at least 12mm and so-on and so-on.

You think would be better of choosing a more suitable engine/gearbox combination to begin with.
This is not to say the E15 is necessarilya bad choice but lets face it, its old and unsophisticated with a shitty head design and will require a lot of expensive machine work to adapt to RWD.

I suggest aiming slightly differently M8 and consider a CA18 perhaps. Rear wheel drive to begin with and a millon geaboxes to attach to.
Still small enough to fit into a tight spot and not a particularly heavy engine to mess with your shitter.

If your not desperate to stay Nissan then you have dozens of options and the top of my list would be a Toyota 4AGZE. 1600cc, supercharged, twin cam, 20 valve 4 banger screamers that are powerful, bulletproof, compact and lightweight.

L8tr
E
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

theres a few nice Datto 1200 utes runing around blockwood with 13B turbo's in them... they absolutely hike..! love that sound
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Braaaap...braaaap...braaaaap..braaaap...braaaap

Equalls

(waaaaank.....waaaaaank.....waaaaaank....waaaaank)
bwaaahahahahaha
L8tr
E
BQ.05.TD

Post by BQ.05.TD »

nothing better then a chook cooker lol

makes me wonder some times. these cars wernt desighned to take 300hp of rotor or sr. im shore the chassis loves al the power lol
brocky41

Post by brocky41 »

cheers for all the feedback guys definately going with the sr now aye just simpler but a little more expensive initially. if just got a hiux surf diff with lsd for $100 so got a bargin there catchya