N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

My Turbo Dilema -- Please read and Post!!

General chat related to anything N12.
Timmzy

My Turbo Dilema -- Please read and Post!!

Post by Timmzy »

Hello Everyone.

This is my problem. I have just blown a BB core RB25DET 1997 model turbo, with the ceramic wheel. I have custom dump pipe and manifold setup for a T3 flange to accomodate previous mentioned turbo.

I have been quoted approx $1200 to fix it. This includes new seals and a 'steel' wheel installed onto the turbo so that I can run over 10PSI.

Now I am thinking with all the Skylines around, there must be a bolt on upgrade that they use with steel wheels already. And that this upgrade cannot be too much more than the $1200 I am already looking at.

Any suggestions? I was thinking along the line of GT3060??

Thanks
Darren.
Slack

Post by Slack »

Thats quite a big turbo for a little E15! How is it for everyday driving?

The problem with a skyline 'upgrade' turbo is that it will likly be differant specs to the turbo you have. This will mean more mucking around re-tuning, and you may not get the results you were looking for. If your happy with the way that the car drives with that turbo then I would go the rebuild and enjoy high boost! :)

$1200 is a bit on the high side. A standard rebuild should be around $600, the only extra in your case is the cost of steel turbine wheel. I would shop around and see if you can get a better deal at another shop.
MRN12

Post by MRN12 »

It really depends on what you use the car for, street car or race car. Street car I'd get the skyline turbo rebuilt but shop around for a good price, there are plenty of good people now that rebuild turbos for reasonable prices. If racing is your game and you want more, search for an upgrade for skylines, maybe try sau.com.au and see what they use there. I think a GT3060 turbo will be a bit more then $1200.

Cameron
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

The GT3060 is a very large turbo dude. That turbo would produce more power that you could ever want from a road going E15.

There is no point getting a big turbo if you cant utilise it fully. Sure... get one that exceeds what you need, but not this much...

For example, you wouldn't put a T28 onto a stock E15ET if you only plan to boost 7psi. You would possibly get a negligable power increase in the top revs, but sacrifice 2000+ RPM in lag.

Go for a turbo that meets (and doesnt excede by much) your needs in the high revs

You will need alot of supporting mods before you can justify pulling a GT3060 on...

Did that make sence? I said it as best i could :P
khalid

Post by khalid »

gt3060 is way to big. if u have abit of engine work like intercooler, throttle body, air fiter & good exhaust system id go for the t28 of a 200sx bb turbo they go cheep. boost to 12 to 13psi and you"ll luv it but or there is the gt25r
swanny

Post by swanny »

A bog stock RB25 turbocharger should hold up to 10psi on an E15T... :?
The ceramic wheels are problematic in that the glue that holds them to the shaft comes unstuck when excessively stressed - this usually happens when you boost them over 12psi on an RB25...

On the E15T, you have 1L less capacity, and a head that relatively doesnt flow as well either, so (this is just a guesstimate) I would be surprised if you couldnt get away with running at least 15psi on an E15 before you had problems with the ceramic turbine wheel...

How much boost were you running when it came unstuck?

Also, are they quoting you for a steel wheel reconditioning *and* a highflow of the housings?
If so, find out what it will cost for just a replacement steel wheel rebuild :)

Luke
SammyET

specs

Post by SammyET »

Hey guys,
Maybe you should take a quick look at Darren's (timmzys) post in member rides.. 1.7 stroker.. stage 5 cam... wolf v4... Its about as worked as it could be.. If you're thinking of drivability, the cam would likely match up to a GT30, a smaller turbo may run out of puff too early. Also remember its a BB turbo so its efficient earlier than an old school T03.. I say go for it and let us know how it runs!!

Sam
SammyET

Post by SammyET »

That said.. prices start at $2k for Gt30.. however for $1250 you can pick up a brand new GT28R ball bearing turbo, rated at 320hp, which would do the job. Next step up is the GT2860RS (disco potato) but thats another $400, although you would probably get more power. Clearly $1200 for a rebuild of an old turbo is ridiculous looking at these prices.

http://www.horsepowerinabox.com/hpiab2/category12_1.htm

Sam
N12Turbo

Post by N12Turbo »

My question is, why spend $1200 on fixing the current turbo when you can probably buy another 3 RB25 std turbos for that price...

As mentioned before they are good for 15psi on the e15s due to lower shaft speeds to obtain similar boost.
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Thanks for the replies!!

All good information, making my choice easier.

The car is setup for circuit/club racing. And it wasn't running any boost at the time, I had just reversed it out of garage and was attempting to put on trailer, then the fog started....

Dave - I have considered by another standard replacement turbo, but so far I have bought 2 2nd hand turbo and both have been faulty. And every time I take a short cut with this car, it comes back to bite me in the ass. So I want to do it properly.

I am planning to extract as much HP as possible. I'd imagine that would require over 20PSI -- so I know that the turbo's suggested will do the job, but I have to stick to a T3 flange, thats where the problem lies. It would cost too much to convert back again.

I will do some more research and hopefully get some quotes next week.

Thanks,

Darren.
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

what is the plan for the car u gunna keep it on the circuit ? if so i wouldnt bother with shit loads of power i would go more balanced if ya want to drag then yeh go for a BIG turbo and big boost :)
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

If the car has a habit of shitting turbos check to make sure that the oil drain back to the sump isn't at a silly angle and restricting oil flow.
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Panda - Ha yes Well I 'had' everything sorted. But I can't do any suspension testing without a turbo!

Paul - You have hit the nail on the head there. Its a custom drain with a small restriction on it because of the angle. I am not happy with it, so that will be fixed. I was only saying that I have bought 2nd hand turbo's in the past and never had success. I won't do that again.
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

sorry i meant balanced in power wise :) but looks like she is coming along nicely tho :)
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Well - Its 2K for the cheapest T3 flanged turbo, so I will ask around a few different places for re-builds. Does anyone have any suggestions for turbo repairs?

Yep, that $1200 I mentioned earlier was for a complete rebuild, install steel wheel (modifying the exhaust housing to achieve) and test.

Darren.