N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Blown head gasket

General chat related to anything N12.
refsta

Blown head gasket

Post by refsta »

Hi guys,

I recently purchased an ET for $800 which had a hole in the radiator. It blew a bit of white smoke which the previous owner said was due to needing new valve stem seals. Anyway it turned out when I fixed the radiator hole that the car started to overheat all the time. I know I should have checked the oil and water for a possible faulty head gasket but I didnt. There seems to be white froth under the oil cap. Would this mean its the head gasket?

I picked up a new head gasket for it anyway and am now in the process of getting into taking the head off. Is there anyway to know if machining the head is absolutely necessary. I'm trying to get out of this as cheaply as possible as you can tell. But on the other hand I was quoted $275 for a machine, light port and polish and valve grind and reseat which is mighty attractive. Should I wait until I can afford the whole hog?
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

The white crap in your oil cap points to a head gasket, or possibly a cracked head (but you'd have to be mighty unlucky)
I'd get the head machined just to be sure, and $275 for all that sounds pretty good.
I'd save up and get it done.

P.S. I'd nearly bet my lefty that it's the head gasket, you'll know once the head is off because you'll be able to see where it's stuffed.
refsta

Post by refsta »

The Renegade wrote:The white crap in your oil cap points to a head gasket, or possibly a cracked head (but you'd have to be mighty unlucky)
I'd get the head machined just to be sure, and $275 for all that sounds pretty good.
I'd save up and get it done.

P.S. I'd nearly bet my lefty that it's the head gasket, you'll know once the head is off because you'll be able to see where it's stuffed.
whats the best way to clean the head once its off? to make it look all shiny. i'm planning on polishing my rocker cover but itd be heaps cool to have the head polished as well or at least clean
angel

Post by angel »

deffinately get the head shaved. Because if you dont, you;ll probably just blow a gasket again. If you have the money get it pressure tested as well. if dont have money just get the shave which should only cost around $50

good luck
SammyET

block

Post by SammyET »

remember to check all the bores for any cracks... could be shit to find the head gasket doesnt fix ur problem :S

Sam
refsta

Post by refsta »

angel: how about if i use a steel ruler to see if the deck is perfectly straight?
otherwise 50 doesnt sound bad at all.

wassup: will do
MRN12

Blown Head gasket

Post by MRN12 »

This is a blown head gasket for sure. At $275 to get it done properly and some, I'd save up and do it. There is nothing worse then doing a half assed job only to have to turn around and do it again later on :( . Once it's done, you won't have to worry about it later. To clean the head, if you've got a parts washer, kero is great but brake cleaner is also good.

Cameron
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

And to make the head all nice and shiny, hit it with a brass wire brush on your drill. Make sure it's not too stiff though coz you'll take chunks out of the metal. Once that's done, make sure you clean the whole thing in a parts cleaner to get all of the dirt and stuff out of the important places.
angel

Post by angel »

[quote="refsta"]angel: how about if i use a steel ruler to see if the deck is perfectly straight?
otherwise 50 doesnt sound bad at all.

a ruler and your eye isn't accurate enough in my opinion. Its just not worth the risk of blowing another gasket, get it done right the first time mate you wont regret it.

good luck
refsta

Post by refsta »

yeah i will pay the 270 and get the whole lot done. sounds like a good deal. should i check the engine block below the head for any potential damage? are they prone to crack or anything?
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

If there is water leaking into the cylinders chances are its the water galleries in the head that have corrodid. These will need to be welded up if they are not too bad. Otherwise you'l have to find another head.
khalid

Post by khalid »

that white shit on you cap might be a buildup of condensation. do a pressure test first. it might just be a thurmostate
swanny

Post by swanny »

Sounds like a headgasket. Check your dipstick and see if the oil is looking milky - this is also a sign of a blown headgasket. For under 300 bucks you cant go wrong with going all out :)

Luke
refsta

Post by refsta »

khalid wrote:that white shit on you cap might be a buildup of condensation. do a pressure test first. it might just be a thurmostate
the guy at the radiator place said its the head gasket for sure. the radiator coolant smells like exhaust fumes. must be head gasket.

ive also been thinking about regrinding the cam while i have the head off. i'd just be getting a light port and valve grind. would a stage 2 came be ok for this and where do i find the specs for that?
exanator

head

Post by exanator »

i had a crack in my head and took it off to get it fixed and that alone cost me $300 so ur lucky!!!

what u said u will get for $300 will cost me $500 in sydney!