N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Bens working the G, about stick it in (T25g install)

General chat related to anything N12.
Ben Hewitson

Bens working the G, about stick it in (T25g install)

Post by Ben Hewitson »

ok.. Well before you all think this thread is about my prowess or extreme capabilities for the 'freaky naughty' stuff its actually about my Car.....

I have finished working on the T25G and will hopefully be fitting it into the car in the next two weeks...

I'll take you through fitting and getting the T25G setup on the E15ET motor.. including water cooling, oil supply and exhaust..

ok Firstly, this is the original turbo from a late model SR20DET.. most likely a S14 balck top motor. pre 1992 as it doesn't have the 2 bolt snout...
This turbo has the Following A/R's.. Compressor A/R 0.80 and Turbine A/R 0.64.. This is fine for the 2L twin cam motor but a little heafty for the little 1.5L...

Ok the second step is to remove the Turbine cover and rotate the turbo... I had a T25 (standard model) lying around and decided to swap off the Turbine Covers thus removing the Lag ascociated with the T25G on the E15 and replacing it with the tighter A/R 0.48 from a T25. This should give me spool up like a T25 with the massive wack from the 0.80 A/R compressor...!!! cant wait..

The difference is not the turbine size or the exhaust size, its the distace between the edge of the turbine and the housing.. the .48 has only a slim gap so most if not all of the exhaust gas has to pass through the compressor..

As some of you heard i damaged 4 turbine blades by dropping the turbo...! D'oh!... i straightened them with plyers and took it to ATS in Adelaide and Bill put it on the dynamic balancer and gave me the all clear for balance, oil and water sealing.. Turbo is top notch.!! go Ben..

This is a box of spare bits i have... Many thanks to Paul (BOOSTIN) for the turbine cover.. (i'll give you the bits back soon)

This is a T28BB core on the left, Pauls T25 in the middle and my old U11 T25 on the right.. note the old cores had a screw type oil drain and are a direct bolt on from the old T02's...

The comp cover in front it the 0.60 A/R T25BB and the turbine covers in the bottom are .64 T25G and my broken T25..

stay tuned...
Last edited by Ben Hewitson on Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

ok next lot....

ok some pics of finished turbo.. i polished the parts before i put it together using my wire buff.. not high polished but cleans it up real nice...

I've also had the compressor blades checked and they are a little rough... the turbo guy Bill @ ATS and he recons this is from not running a clean air filter (dust and water) but gave it a clean bill of health.. (no pun in tended...) so wil ldefinatly be cleaning that K&N pod before i put it on..
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

some more sexy pics of the G......

and this is what the girls think...

Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

started working on the oil drain and other connection bits.. would have hadthe turbo in by now but couldn't get the watercooling hoses out.. the rubber seams a bit old and i need to get new stuff..

This is the drain that i cut out of my old T02... cut and shut it to a T25 flange.. should be work just fine til i go custom braided and hight mount turbo.

The drain fitted using turbine bolts from my spare T25.... note that i have used a .48 turbine housing to try and combat the laggyness of the T25G on the 1.5L motor... this should work just fine..

This is my currant system. a little low mount T02 with custom water and oil pipes.. works ok for now but will take it out as soon as i get some new water hose... i have also removed the a/c unit and hoses so i can go my big dump pipe... the fluid on the bots and turbo is "penatrine' penetrating oil.. 15mins or more of that stuff sitting there and all the bolts come off every time without damage..
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

Stripping out the front end.... best way to access the turbo is pull out the front end.
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

Image.

first fit measure up...

Image.

yes..!!!! 14th try at fitting and it goes on just fine.

I decided to open up the water pipes a bit. just drilled them 2mm oversized throughout..
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

Well... i made the right choice of Turbine housing.. the smaller T25 housing gives great boost response.. i believe i have lost about 20% of the torque below 3000rpm but gained 40-60% above it.. the Turbo absolutely screams too...
angel

Post by angel »

great work ben, but i hope you will be getting rid of that shitty t2 cast dump pipe.
GarethSS

Post by GarethSS »

Thats looking a treat Ben. As Angel said.... Get rid of the dump 8)
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

Thanks guys. and Especially Gareth, wo got me this turbo..

I've got a full ET style top mount manifold and i'm changing turbo once again to a larger BB, so i'll definately make myself a new dump and exhaust.. I've got a 2.5" mandrel straight through off my bro's exa in the garage, but i just cant be bothered at the moment.. lol..

my next setup includes a larger turbo, a custom made manifold, 42mm exernal gate and a cb70 sized turbo. i should have good strong usable boost from 2000rpm with this setup.. i shall let you all speculate..
GarethSS

Post by GarethSS »

Ben Hewitson wrote:Thanks guys. and Especially Gareth, wo got me this turbo..

I've got a full ET style top mount manifold and i'm changing turbo once again to a larger BB, so i'll definately make myself a new dump and exhaust.. I've got a 2.5" mandrel straight through off my bro's exa in the garage, but i just cant be bothered at the moment.. lol..

my next setup includes a larger turbo, a custom made manifold, 42mm exernal gate and a cb70 sized turbo. i should have good strong usable boost from 2000rpm with this setup.. i shall let you all speculate..
As you would know from the various incarnations of my last car Ben.... I'd suggest to just going all out straight up! God only knows I should have!

What size is a CB70? My googling would suggest its kinda small?
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

yep its tiny.. runs on 900-1100cc engines and spools about 2000rpm on them.. that added with a much larger framed turbo and some tricky wastegate action will net the results of what i want to do... like i said.. i shall let people speculate.. this is not going to be an all out drag machine, but rather somethign tuned more for superior response on the street. figure good power from 2500-7500rpm..

one thing i had to come to terms with is this is not a drag car, and its not a circuit car. its a street car and i need more response, power and toraue over twice the rev range that a ball bearing GT25 or GT28 could give me.. so i've hit my power budget, with my torque curve and will set about trying to make it happen.
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

Someone has asked some more questions so i just made this..

The red shows where the water lines should get hooked up.. The blue line shows that i dump it back into the radiator instead.. The watercooled turbo's had a different pipe that runs under the exhaust manifold. I haven't installed this one yet, but will do it when i install my high mount ET manifold. Till then i fitted a Banjo fitting to the radiator drain plug..

So my flow comes out of the block nead the Dizzy.. into the turbo, and then out of the turbo and into the radiator drain plug.. this is only temporary, but has been running ok for ages..

Ideally you would use the ET's out of the turbo section.. It has a little 'bubble separator' or an airlock on it.. i'm not sure what it is.. but it should stop the turbo drying out in low water situations.

Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

Yes i know its an N/A rocker cover.. but its low profile.. and its easier to intercool... plus a cop opened the bonnet and didn't see that it was a turbo.. Stupid casue the EXA has 12 'Turbo' badges or stickers on it... lol...

I dont know about oil flow or PCV systems, but i presume they are the same. i've had no problems with it..

Wheni go the EGI manifold, i'll still keep it even though i wont be running any intercooling over the top of it.. see bleow.. sideways mounted intake plenum.. but the other side from the RRC..

This is not my manifold, but was the one that was sent to Mattybaby for his purple exa..

nope the dual butterfly throttlebody.. i have no idea what this will do..