N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Wheel Bearings?

General chat related to anything N12.
raddavey

Wheel Bearings?

Post by raddavey »

OK my car has developed a noise from the front left. It sounds like metal on metal rubbing kinda like the brakes, though its definetly not the brakes.
The reasons i think its the wheel bearings is it goes away when i turn the car slightly to the left, and comes back when i'm going straight or turning right. However it only seems to make the noise when i'm accelerating (loading up the driveline). The sound sometimes goes away completely then it'll come back at some time. As soon as start to slow down the noise seems to go away. I'm pretty sure its not a CV joint as they tend to click.

I jacked the car up and rotated the hub and it does go kinda hard at one point then free's up. However it sounds more like its coming from the inner cv joint or gearbox. But i dont see how a bearing in the gearbox will stop grinding when i turn left.

Does it sound like a wheel bearing?
Any idea on cost of replacement? Should i do all four while i'm at it?
ACL Pistons, 226/236 cam, T28 Turbo, FMIC, FJ20T Injectors, Wolf V4 ECU, NPC Clutch, VL TB, Custom High Mount Manifold, N13 Internals G/B, 3" SS Exhaust, Walbro 500hp Pump.
237hp@18psi
13.52@108.95mph (street trim, leaky hg)
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

im ont usre if its teh bearing but the full bearing kit from nissan is about $130 for both sets with all 4 seals :) if u have to replace 1 sides bearings Do both as seized wheel bearings are not kewl when driving at speed :)
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

So thats for front set? Or all four?
ACL Pistons, 226/236 cam, T28 Turbo, FMIC, FJ20T Injectors, Wolf V4 ECU, NPC Clutch, VL TB, Custom High Mount Manifold, N13 Internals G/B, 3" SS Exhaust, Walbro 500hp Pump.
237hp@18psi
13.52@108.95mph (street trim, leaky hg)
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

just front set from nissan maybe cheaper at bursons or repco not sure
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
MRN12

Wheel bearing kits

Post by MRN12 »

Check with SKF bearings. I know they do a kit for ET/Exa's and it maybe cheaper.

Cameron
BQ.05.TD

Post by BQ.05.TD »

to c if its a wheel baring prob. jack up the front so the wheels are of the ground. put one hand on the top of the wheel and on on the bottem and jiggel it. if there is movement then u have a barring prob.

i replaced my barrings for 60 but that was trade. there usually about 60 each
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

the bearings for the set are only about the $60 full retail but the seals cost more than the bearings lol:P
exanator

bearing!! mmm

Post by exanator »

i had a similar prob b4 wid d noise n it was the bolt that holds the wheel to the cv joint and i had to get it tightened as it got loose some how!
coidog

Post by coidog »

dont use skf, timkin bearings are better, and use red grease they will last longer. and do all 4 never do 1 or 2. cost about 180 for all 4 wheel bearings
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

The noise from a bad wheel bearing tends to stay there and not come and go. It might be something else. Although the sound will change when loaded and unloaded through a corner.
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

That's the strange thing. The sound does come and go and only ever makes it when there is some load on the drivetrain (slight accelerating), but disappears completely when i turn left the slightest amount.
However if i was to turn right hard it doesn't get any louder or change sound.
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

I doubt it's a wheel bearing.
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

wheel nuts tight? a loose wheel will make all types of weird noises/behaviour
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

Yeah wheel nuts are all tight and so are the hub nuts. It was rather noisy today and i took a right turn at highish speed while rolling in neutral and it made the noise. So i'm 95% sure its a wheel bearing.

I can only see it being three things.
1. Wheel Bearing
2. CV Joints
3. Gearbox bearing

But it doesn't click or make the noise and low speeds turning sharp which rules out CV joints. And if goes away when i turn the slightest amount to the left so dont see it being the gearbox bearings. Plus it made the noise turning sharp in neutral.
exanator

99%

Post by exanator »

hey im 99% sure its the wheel bearings!!! take it to a mechanic its worth doing as for example if u dun do it and ur bearings give way ur wheel or wheels can fall off!!!